Wednesday, February 2

breakfast, lunch, & ripped jeans

surprisingly, there is no correlation between these two meals and the sad ending to my favorite pair of jeans.  but first things first!  and the first thing is breakfast! :)

i've been eating this breakfast almost everyday for the past two weeks!  it's really that good.  although if this keeps going i might run all the local health food stores out of muesli!


really, it's been my favorite.  it's takes all of two minutes to whip together in the morning and half the time i shovel it down just as quickly because it's so darn good!


strawberry chocolate goodness


1/4 cup muesli
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/2 cup rice milk

let that sit in the fridge for ten or fifteen minutes {or "overnight, as the swiss do!" as the packaging suggests}.
then add:

3 large strawberries, diced
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons almond butter
1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 tsp cinnamon

stir all together and just try to resist that deliciousness for more than a minute!
really, it's just about the best stuff ever.


today i had another little burst of cooking energy.  i've been a little sad over the result of my spinach artichoke dip for the last week or two.  the first try was pretty runny, and to be honest i'm not a fan of runny artichoke dip.  but i love it so much i had to give it another try!  this one was much more of a success. :)



vegan spinach artichoke dip


1/2 block extra firm tofu
1/2 block silken tofu
1 12 oz can artichokes
3 large handfuls baby spinach
2 green onions
3 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup vegenaise
2 small cloves garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
3 tsp nutritional yeast

despite the long list of ingredients {for a time-pressed college student}, this one is pretty darn quick, too!  in the food processor, blend together the two kinds of tofu and the vegenaise.  pour these in a glass pan {i don't really know what size mine is...it's weird-shaped...little smaller than a 9x13}.  chop up the artichokes, spinach, onions, tomatoes, and garlic and slide them into the baking dish as well.  add all the spices and combine really well with a fork.  bake at 375 for 40 minutes!

i love when i decide to try something like this again - something that was a disaster the first time.  man, was it yummy!



okay, now for my poor jeans story.  i woke up this morning - a little late.  despite my resolution to be happy no matter what, i'll admit i was feeling a little down this morning.  i've ran really well this week!  but i felt pretty yucky this morning.  so.  scrambling for time, i ran to get my jeans out of the dryer.  my good jeans.  the ones that make me feel okay when i don't feel so hot in the morning.  they'd shrunk up a tiny bit, but that was usual.  after pulling them on, i zipped them up only to hear a loud riiiiiiiiiip!

i was horrified.  this was my FAVORITE pair of jeans!  sure enough, the entire backside had ripped in half.


i'll admit it, i threw quite a tantrum...aaaand was five minutes late to class, consequently!

true...these jeans were a year and half old.  pretty good life span, right??  but i'm still in mourning.  and now budgeting a little bit of money to buy myself a new pair next month {while also trying not to dread the chore of shopping for them}!

well... i do love new pants! :)

r.i.p. jeans {pun...intended}

3 comments:

  1. I will definitely be trying the muesli! I'm sorry about the jeans. So sad, and when you are in a hurry, too! And, to comment on your last post...you ARE unique and I love it and I should know almost better than anyone! Being different than anyone else is a GOOD thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha R.I.P jeans... that's a good one :) and that spinach artichoke dip looks heavenly! we'll have to make it when you come down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite pair of pants ripped over the Christmas break and I was so heartbroken. That artichoke dip looks really good, but I'll have to admit that I'm still a little iffy when it comes to tofu, I've tried some great stuff at your house, but event the thought of me buying tofu is strange. Maybe someday I'll be brave and try making it. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete