Wednesday, May 19

swinging in the park

today, i met an old friend.  and when i say "old friend," i mean really old friend.  in my first memory of her, i called her a muskrat.  she called me stupid.  and that was the beginning of a fabulous friendship.

in my next memory, i was lying flat on my back, coughing up the tooth her flying fist had just knocked loose.  

there were years that we saw each other two, maybe three times other than in weekly sunday school classes, and there were years that we never missed a thursday night trip to the temple together - just us.  
over those years, we've talked about everything from bugs to boys.  mostly silly and laughter, sometimes serious and tears.

she was married a month and a half ago to the boy of her dreams. (and i'm still not quite finished with her wedding present).

it's a little strange when people you're close to move on.  i'm happier than anything in the world that she's happier than anything in the world.  but at the same time, it feels strange that she grew up.  i know it happened a little at a time, but sometimes it seems so sudden.  swinging together at the park seems so close in the past.  i guess that's the thing: we all grow up. quickly. and then we just have to figure out what to do with this adult-sized body that doesn't quite seem natural yet.

a couple days ago (at a church activity) a boy was trying to guess my age. after a little hmmming, he pinned me at nineteen.  a little in shock, i said no, i'm twenty. 
oh, it's about the same thing! he exclaimed, then walked off to refill his salsa bowl.  

it's the first time i remember someone ever assuming i was even a year younger than i am.  it's a good thing i think.  maybe my age is catching up to my looks finally.  or maybe i'm growing young again.

anyone want to swing?

ps. congratulations to the muskrat!

3 comments:

  1. haha I am still waiting for the day that someone thinks I'm the age that I am...or even that I'm younger than I am! that would be a very amazing feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....I love when people think I am younger. Hasn't happened in awhile. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete