Thursday, June 10

no worries

i have this little sticky note stuck to the overhang of my desk - right above my computer screen.  it's yellow, an energizing, soothing and happy color (the color of the sun).  it's a reminder to take a few yoga breaths, stretch a little, smile at my homework, and say a little prayer.  it's been quite the help this week preparing for all these crazy tests (another one down!).

it simply reads:
i am free from excess worry.

to me, it's a powerful statement.  one that brings a little more balance and perspective to my life.  it reminds me of a woman that i would visit with my mother when i was young.  her name was shiela and she lived in a little trailer surrounded by animal cages.  every desert animal imaginable loved this woman, and she loved them back. snakes, raccoons, wolves, coyotes, golden eagles... you name it, she probably rescued it at some point.  besides all the furry (and scaly and feathered) animals to make friends with, i predominantly remember one thing about sheila, the phrase she would say to mother often:
don't worry, just pray.

so.  because worrying never gets anyone anywhere in life (except for stressed and sick), i'm not going to worry about the rest of my tests.  i'll study, and i'll pray.  but no more worries.
(i'll be controlling this with a very large quantity of yoga breaths, spaced throughout the remaining few days).

so. to all you worriers out there: stop for a moment.  then just pray.  and see what happens.

4 comments:

  1. That is some awesome advice! I miss Sheila, I loved going there and seeing all of the different animals there. Who knew that Ivins had its own little zoo. I just realized that while reading your posts many of them remind me of when we were younger and all of the fun times we had together. We definitely need to keep them going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jessie - really, i think the reason so many of my posts about when i was young are combined memories for you and me is because we were so much a part of each others' lives! definitely we'll keep it going. it may have a lapsed for a couple years, but it will continue for life. i can't wait to get together again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila was also not afraid to be herself. She was a very eccentric woman with her hats and her animals and her work, itself. But she wasn't afraid to be who she was meant to be. You are good at that, too! That is an important quality!

    ReplyDelete