Friday, June 29

i want to ride an elephant


sometimes i'm an adventurous person, in my head.  the other day i saw a picture on facebook of someone i used to know who is in thailand.  she was riding an elephant down a river, and i thought someday....i really really want to ride on an elephant.

the truth is there are a lot of adventures i want to have someday.

when i was younger, a family friend took hailey and me to the circus.  there was a big ring where they were giving rides on two very sad looking elephants.  and i wanted to ride so much.  basically i've wanted to ride an elephant as long as i can remember and although this opportunity was quite a bit less than the idea of riding an elephant down a stream while wearing exotic clothes and balancing a basket on my head, this was my opportunity!  we went to stand in line.  i remember how ecstatic i was - i could barely contain myself!  then i said something about my excitement and with a look that said really? grow up.. the woman who was our chaperone told me that i was much too old to ride the elephants.  we were only in line for my little sister.

and so my search for an elephant continues.


there are a lot of other adventures i want, too.  someday i want to go on a backpacking trip - a legitimate one.  i want to rock climb (outside... not just indoors).  i also reeeaaaalllllly want to go on a river rafting trip down the grand canyon.  and run a marathon.  and maybe do a triathlon someday.  and absolutely learn to snowboard.

and i want to see the great pyramid and what's left of the sphinx.  i want to walk the great wall of china.  and see the kangaroos, koala bears, and platypuses in australia.  while i'm at it, i'd love to go to hobbiton in new zealand and learn to surf and scuba dive.

i want to do a lot of things.  be a lot of things.

and someday i really am going to ride an elephant.  and if my kids ever want to, i'll tell them they are never too old to ride the elephants.

1 comment:

  1. My heart still hurts that I was not there to put you on that elephant!You ARE never too old to ride an elephant...or do any fun thing your heart desires. Who says kids have all the fun? Nonsense!

    ReplyDelete