Thursday, March 4

coming out of hibernation

it's been a month. a hectic, rather uncreative month.

but finally, after almost resigning to the sun's decision to altogether abandon northern utah, i saw blue sky and budding trees, awoke to frantic birds in the branches outside my window, wore a jacket instead of a coat, ate salad instead of soup, and subtracted one blanket from my bedding equation.  it's still cold enough to require bundling to walk to campus, but not quite enough to demand a coat, scarf, and boots to run down to the mailbox.  although snow soaked through my shoes again this afternoon, the day started out much like what i think spring might look like here.  the world is waking up, at last!

the unpredictable (but undeniably improving) weather has aroused my spontaneity.  last weekend i wore magenta pants for the first time in almost a year.  for the past week, upon arriving home, i fly into laughing fits that end in three to four people sprawled on the couch and table close to tears (really for no reason at all).  i start homework only to convince myself that something else is more important today... like blogging.  i listen to kate nash.  i have an irrepressible urge to watch sappy chick flicks (yes, i watched the proposal twice last week and had a flashback with disney's beauty and the beast).  the only explanation for all of this ridiculous behavior is this: the sun is waking me up, and giving me spring fever. although personally, as ridiculous as magenta pants appear, they are actually a very liberating item of clothing to own.



i'm finding the need to console myself often - really, it's okay to watch a movie.  after all, i earned a 92% on my last test, and so on.  it makes me feel more productive (and combats the urge to drop out of school and start a perpetual spring break.  i've made several different 5-year life plans, budgeted for the rest of my life, cleaned my room from top to bottom, and made some new goals (blog post at least once a week, sleep for eight hours a night, make myself three full meals a day, etc.).  but even with all this general productivity, i am still counting down the days until the end of winter semester. 11 class periods left of tuesday/thursday classes, 11!  and i feel justified in doing so.  if byu won't grant me at least one week of spring break, i am STILL going to blog, i am going to sleep, i am going to leave all the windows open. and  i am going to wear magenta pants.

5 comments:

  1. mmmmmagenta pants. I need some. spring makes me feel like running around in flip flops and finding somewhere to lay out in the sun and sleeping outside. mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it's snowing....bleh! You forgot we live in Narnia where it's always winter and never Christmas:)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT!!!!!! YAY for SPRING! Remember it WAS Christmas, and even Narnia eventually has Spring! We have a green veil a buds surrounding our weeping willow tree, and the forsythia are getting buds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just an idea... but I THINK these pants are slightly cooler than your pinkies.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3le2GPqKTr0/SwVjWx7AVbI/AAAAAAAAE4c/TTBFY6u1M8o/s1600/acid_wash.jpg

    ReplyDelete